Pages


Sunday, August 22, 2010

Haitian Church

This morning after breakfast, they gussied up a couple of the kids and we took them next door to attend a church service. Wow. It's the same format, for the most part, but the passion is amazing. There were maybe 30 people there. When it came time to sing they sang with such force. There was no music, no piano, no organ. Just the Haitian people singing and praising. Very powerful stuff. (of course you know what I had to hold back...)

The children that we brought sat so still. I was holding little Rivaldo and he sat calmly in my lap the entire time. We were so hot and sweating like mad, but no one cared. That's a way of life here. He fell asleep on my chest at one point, which was so sweet. Love that little boy.

I wish I could have recorded the service so you could see the power and spirit in the room. When it came time for offering they gave all the children a coin to put in the basket. Reminds me of the widow's mite. They don't have, and yet they give.

* * * * * * * * *

I'd like to put a bug in the ear of anyone considering sending items here. Just because it's Haiti, just because it's third world, just because these kids are here...doesn't mean they don't deserve the best. I'm a big garage saler and will be looking for gently used clothes and shoes from now on, but there's a new standard I've set on what I'll send down here. The Haitian people are very proud. They dress up when in public, and truly wear their Sunday best to church. They deserve the best from us. Not torn or worn or used up.

As you're putting something in a box down here, ask yourself if it's something you'd give to a close friend. Remember they have to pay shipping from FL to CAP, and then pay customs once it gets here.

* * * * * * * * *

I miss my family today and I wonder what Henry's reaction is going to be like when he sees me. Hopefully it's not like when I left - he refused to hug me. When I get home I want to snuggle with my entire family in bed all night long. I don't think I can get close enough to them. Even the cats. :-) Sofia - tell Daddy that we're breaking all the rules and that everyone is sleeping together on Wednesday night. I don't care if I don't sleep a wink!

Please say a prayer for my flights home. (and please don't ever complain about flights in the US!!) Just because I purchased a ticket does not mean I have a seat on the plane. I'm taking the crap-shoot with the option of purchasing another flight if needed. Hoping and praying my original flights work out. It would be hard to delay my homecoming.

* * * * * * * * *

While I have a special bond with Josette, I love all of these kids and could bring any one of them home. I wish you could meet them all. My day starts with screaming kids clinging to my legs. There's always someone who needs holding and cuddling. And there's always a head to kiss.

* * * * * * * * *

Say some extra prayers for health today. We've got lots of throwing up and diarrhea (how do you spell that??). It could be challenging. And please send up some extra prayers for the kids at the hospital in Milot.

* * * * * * * * *

That's it for now my friends. Another hot, sticky day in Haiti. I really hope you can keep an attitude of gratitude long after I write these posts. We have so much. Keep saying that to yourself. Even though you may not understand it, because you haven't been here, let me be your eyes and trust me when I tell you there's so much to be thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment