Pages


Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A day in the life of a cardiologist

First things first, this paragraph is for my sister Kris. Everything worked out. Tonight I went to dinner with the team, paid with my Visa, and they all paid me in pesos. Absolute genius. I'm good to go for the rest of the trip.

For the rest of you, here's the story of my financial woes. On Sunday, parents of a very sick Haitian baby were at the hospital for an ECHO. After it was complete, I spoke to the nurse at COTP and she let me know that they didn't have enough money to get across the border, and asked if I would give them money. It was Sunday. I'd only been here for a day, and I knew if I gave them money that I would not have enough for the rest of the week. Against my better judgement, I did the right thing. I gave them more than enough cash, and my last apple.

There are times in life when we're called to make choices. Some are difficult, some are easy, and some just mean missing a few dinners. I chose the easy path of missing out on dinners in order to help this family get back across the border. But as you can see from above, it has all worked out. Loaves and fishes.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Today was completely different from yesterday. I spent the day with Dr. DiSessa, a brilliant Cardiologist. This morning he ECHO'd 4 kids - one of whom was operated on this afternoon. He's an amazing teacher. Did you know that learning about the heart is the same as basic plumbing? He had a way of explaining it to the med students in a way that even I understood. Don't ask me to repeat anything, but it started to make sense.

Here's a picture of what was on the shelf in the back of the ECHO room. There's a heart in that pickle jar. If I ever make it back I'm going to clean out Henry's toys and replace what's on the shelf with something maybe a little happier.

Once the ECHOs were complete I asked to interview him about his experience with ICHF. He has an amazing story that I'll eventually write up. But I can tell you that in his time with ICHF he's performed close to 300 procedures. Now that he's retired he will be going on 6-7 trips per year for the next 3 years. It's a good way to end his career, he indicated. Yes indeed Dr. DiSessa, I believe it is.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Of course you need to see what lunch was like. This was really delicious. Vegetables! I was so excited. What you're not seeing is the 3 trays of meat.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I stayed out of the OR today, and made minimal visits to the ICU. Our little guy from yesterday had a tough night so I wanted to leave the team to do what they know best. I did get to see the 14 year old and her eyes looked so pained. I pictured the beautiful, excited, smiling girl from yesterday and knew she'd soon be back to that, only much better. This too shall pass, my friend.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Here's a picture of the Respiratory Therapist and one of the ICU nurses working with a sweet 3 year old who just got out of surgery. As a mom, it is so hard for me to see this. I know this surgery is saving her, but I had the urge to sweep her up and hold her close.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Before the afternoon concluded I helped clean the instruments for the next day. Again you medical folks - picture this - all the instruments that are used in surgery are scrubbed, by hand, by the OR nurse, then completely dried, wrapped and steamed.

There are three surgeries tomorrow, so I offered to wash all instruments after each of the surgeries. This team is going to be extremely busy tomorrow.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I have to conclude this post with a picture of my beautiful daughter. God bless technology. On Sunday night my friend sent me a picture of my youngest daughter from COTP, and tonight my beautiful oldest sent me this.
I sent a reply and asked her if she was going to eat him. Her response, "Um no. I don't eat fish. We set him free. We are eating hot dogs, not Fishy! Thats what Henry calls him. Love you so much!!"

I love you so much too Sofia. And I thank God every day for being blessed with healthy children.

Remember that He has called me to help those who are not.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you'd put Fishy on your blog, Mommy!



    Love,

    Sofia

    ReplyDelete