Pages


Monday, June 28, 2010

Do Not Be Afraid


Many people in my life are concerned about me taking a trip to Haiti. The person who has been most concerned is my mom. Being a mother myself, I think I understand why she's concerned. We have these babies to care for and no matter how old they get, they are still our babies. As I'm typing this my 8 year old baby is sitting next to me reading what I type. We keep adding candles to her cake every year, but she's still my baby.

Quite a few weeks ago my mom emailed me one of those panic emails. It was about a warning the State Department had issued regarding traveling to Haiti. Following the link brought me to a page that listed all sorts of warnings about unrest, lack of infrastructure, kidnapping, even murder. I'll admit - I had an intense amount of worry, panic, doubt. There was still time to ignore the postcard. I hadn't bought my plane tickets yet. I wasn't out any money.

After exactly 24 hours came this unbelievable peace. I can't explain it. "A peace that passes all understanding..." Even the understanding of a very worried mother.

Whatever the reason is, I'm being called to Haiti. No big bug, little bug, or State Department warning will keep me from going. It's a God thing. Maybe you understand me when I say that, and maybe you think I'm nuts. I'll smile either way.

Each work day morning I get an email with scripture. Today's was perfect:

"Peace I leave with you; My peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."
~ John 14:27

No comments:

Post a Comment