Pages


Friday, July 30, 2010

Are You Nervous?

Last night as we were at the dinner table Sofia asked me, "Mommy, are you nervous about going to Haiti?" Those of you who know me know that I've done a lot of travel in my day - alone. Drop me off in any city in the US or Canada and I'll be able to make my way around. I even navigated Norway twice as a teenager - no parents.

The US, Canada, and Norway are not third world countries. No matter which city I've gone to, I've always been able to swing by a Target to pick up any items I've forgotten - toothbrush, hairspray, a t-shirt. I realize Haiti is going to be different. There will be no Target on my ride from the airport to Children of the Promise.

We're very honest in our house so I wasn't about to hold back. My response - "Yes I'm nervous, Sofia. I'm nervous about leaving you and Henry."

I'm nervous because I'm a control freak. I want to know when they wake up, what they're eating, if they are happy...and I want to be able to hear them breathing at night.

We'll be able to talk a couple of times, and they can text me all day. But I'll go to bed at night and not be able to hear that all-comforting breathing. Ten days in Haiti is going to force me to let go. And to trust that all will be well.

I'm not nervous about Haiti. The bugs, the conditions, being safe. Remember that peace I've got? It's still holding strong. When I think about Haiti I smile. And I cry. The tears are mostly happy. I cannot wait to meet the babies. If you haven't looked at them in a while, their pictures have been updated Click here.

Do you think I can bring Wilson home with me? :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment