Pages


Monday, July 19, 2010

222 Acts of Compassion



I wasn't going to post until after the fundraiser, but I'm about to burst and can't wait any longer.

Today I came home from work to 2 very large boxes addressed to Handbags for Hope. I know the world is filled with amazing, compassionate people, but it surprises me each time a box arrives. Both boxes were from people I've never met. One came from Virginia, the other from Washington. Talk about covering the country!

Inside the box from Virginia was a thank-you note from a woman named Jennifer. She was thanking me for collecting and distributing the bags. I find that amazing. She's the one who sent the bags and paid the postage.

The next box was from Amy in Washington. Inside the box was a card with her blog listed. Here it is: Acts of Compassion Amy is doing 222 acts of compassion. Why 222? Her daughter was born on 2/22. A military wife, mother, writer...you can read more about her on her blog.

The world is filled with love, compassion, giving, gentleness, kindness and more. Just think if we started a movement. How many acts of compassion would you commit to? It doesn't have to be formal. It doesn't have to cost money. It doesn't even have to take a lot of time. Here's what you could do:
* make a commitment to laugh and play with your kids (instead of nagging)
* find the positive in someone before pointing out a negative
* pay for the person behind you in the drive-thru
* if you've got it, donate money to someone who has found a cause they are passionate about
* find a cause YOU are passionate about
* sponsor a child through Compassion International
* smile at a stranger
* get to know and understand a different culture
* bring your neighbor a meal
* send a note to a friend - for no reason
* become a foster parent for rescue animals
* attend a pizza fundraiser on 7/31 in Hudson, WI and bring tons of cash (just had to)

I could go on for pages with ideas. It doesn't take much to plant the seed. Your act of compassion will spread more than you could ever realize.

3 comments:

  1. God Bless ur work Karen...im super happy to see more n more generous ppl keep on pouring in to ur mission...Wish me luck hope i can get a sum of funding to help ur mission n so does Emma mission as well as my husband Jeffs is helping me to try to get funding from his comp which he work with..get my fingers crossed..take care..xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen - You are amazing and I enjoy all of the updates on fb as well as your blog. Hope to make it on the 31st. I am honored to know you and call you my friend. Keep thinking good thoughts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I mailed off our package to Handbags for Hope today. I am also grateful to you for giving me the opportunity and outlet to help. Karen, you are a true hero. Thank you. Love, Dawn

    ReplyDelete