Pages


Thursday, April 28, 2011

More Magdaline

Here's another picture of sweet Magdaline after she was admitted to Children of the Promise. One of the nurses there wrote a great blog about the kids she sees who are malnourished. You can check it out here. That was Magdaline. Too weak to cry. A stomach so empty she used her thumb to comfort her. Allowing a stranger to hold her and not fight it. Just enough energy remaining to protest her bath, before falling into a deep sleep.

Comparing the picture above to the one at the top of the blog on the right warms my heart. The amazing staff at Children of the Promise works 24/7 to save these little lives.

Right now they have an urgent need for rice cereal, size 3 diapers, baby shampoo, baby lotion (imagine the dry skin in that heat!) and baby wipes. With 48 babies, they go through a lot in any day. You can send supplies here:

Bud and Jan Bonnema
Agape Flights CAP--11952
100 Airport Ave
Venice, FL 34285

Many of you have already read this next part, but it's worth mentioning again. The address above is a hangar for an organization called Agape Flights. They take in all sorts of shipments, inventory them, and fly them to missionaries all over the world. When your box arrives in Haiti, Nick - COTP staff - meets the pilot on the runway. They take the supplies off the plane together, and Nick then heads over to customs to see what he needs to pay to bring the supplies into Haiti.

One thing I forgot to mention - Agape Flights emails Nick prior to the delivery so he knows exactly what's coming. Why is this important? It means NOTHING is stolen. You hear so much about supplies not making it to the intended party. That's not the case here. Agape inventories it and Nick picks it up. Everything you send down there makes it to the babies. Everything!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Since August I've worked to raise money for the babies. Every penny that's come in has gone towards formula, diaper, baby food, blankets, clothing, lightbulbs, medical expenses - you name it. When I first was planning the trip I got a check written out to me for $1,000. The couple told me to use it any way I wanted. That money would have covered my travel expenses completely. I didn't even think twice - I can't keep that money. I have a job and benefits and a savings account. How could I take money away from the babies?

Fast forward to today. You'll notice there's a Chip-In button to the right of the blog now. While I still have a REALLY difficult time accepting money, I have to get over myself and start accepting. We've already spent thousands of dollars in the process of bringing Magdaline home. Two weeks ago we wrote a check for $5,300. We have $5,000 more that will be due soon. In addition, we're going to have over $5,000 in travel expenses coming up. (Two trips to Haiti - one for court, one to bring her home.) The total cost will be over $30,000.

With God, all things are possible. I know that He didn't bring us down this path without an idea of how He's going to provide. It will all work out, and I completely trust that.

If you have any great fundraising ideas, I'd LOVE to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment