Pages


Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Joy and Peace

Three weeks ago the kids and I were driving to Jr. Choir at church. All was quiet in the car, which is pretty uncommon. Out of the blue Henry said, "I love you Maggie. You're my best friend." No idea where that came from - but he said it with love and conviction. Whoever this Maggie was, he believes they are best friends.

For weeks we have been speculating who our little girl will be. We look at the babies on the Children of the Promise website every day. Many nights I come home from work and catch Jason on the site. Guessing. Wondering. Patiently waiting.

Last week we got our referral. Laurie at Love Basket, our adoption agency, asked me to call her. After she answered she said, "Karen, Henry was right." I was overcome with emotion. Magdaline.

As I read through the referral paperwork, one section stood out to me. The nannies at Children of the Promise have started to call her Maggie. God is preparing Henry for the arrival of his little sister.

You'll notice two new pictures at the top of the blog. On the left is the little girl I met on August 25th, my last full day in Haiti. This 11 month old little girl had just been admitted. I gave her a bath, got her dressed, and tried to coax her thumb out of her mouth long enough so she would eat. She weighed 9 pounds at the time. Painfully malnourished.

On the right is our daughter. The same little girl. Magdaline. She's now 18 months old and weighs over 20 pounds. Isn't she beautiful?

For those of you who sent supplies, food, clothing, money, toys - look at those two pictures very closely. You are saving lives. You are saving my daughter and the sons and daughters of many others across the US and Canada. I can't thank you enough.

An amazing peace has washed over me. Knowing who she is, and being blessed enough to have met this little girl, has given me a peace that passes all understanding. We still have 4-18 months before she'll be home. Please pray that it's sooner vs. later. I want to hold her again, kiss her cheeks, fall asleep with her, feel her breath on my face.

I can't wait to watch Henry playing with his best friend.

4 comments:

  1. Karen, she is beautiful. I am so excited for you to bring your precious Maggie home. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! Thanks for the update and the awesome news. She is perfect! keep thinking good thoughts and before you know it she will be with you and your family. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is an incredibly beautiful little girl! She's a part of our family already. Each morning, I turn on my computer and when the main screen comes up I see her precious smile and I say "good morning Magdaline. I love you!" Auntie Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited for you. Maggie is beautiful! I can't wait to go and meet her, hold her, love her and tell her all about you & her new family.

    ReplyDelete