Pages


Saturday, October 22, 2011

Hotels and Pandas and Impatience

There are so many thoughts in my head to share today.  So many little things in life get me thinking.  Dreams make my heart warm and sad at the same time.  And impatience is taking over me.

Last week I had a beautiful dream.  During the entire dream I was holding her.  I was holding her and kissing her, and she was touching my face.  I was saying over and over, "Mwen se manman ou."  I am your Mommy.  Her beautiful brown eyes, just staring into mine.  It felt so wonderful to have her in my arms.  When I woke up there was a peace and joy.  It was followed by sadness and impatience.  I want her home.

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *

This week I traveled for work.  I woke up Friday morning and didn't want to get out of bed.  Western Michigan was cold and rainy, and I was exhausted for some reason.  When I went in to take my shower, I noticed that the hotel bar soap, shampoo and conditioner I'd used the day before was gone.  The housekeeper had thrown it away and replaced it with new.  

Why do we waste so much in this country, when so many are suffering?

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *  

My flight home was late last evening, and I had some time on my hands before heading to the airport.  I'm not a shopper, and I can't stand malls.  Give me a garage sale or second-hand store any day of the week - or awesome hand-me-downs.  It's rare that I buy something new for the kids.  

Henry needs a winter coat this year.  He hasn't ever had a new one, so I decided to check out Kohl's to see what they had.  Do you realize how expensive kid's coats are?  Thank you to everyone who's handed down coats for the kids!

On my way to the boy's section I passed by the toddler area.  One t-shirt caught my eye.  Pandas have a significant meaning in my life.  There was a shirt I just couldn't pass up, followed by a second one.  (I'm not perfect.  She's moving into a house with a few kitties.)  They were 50% off, so in my mind I could justify spending the money.  

I haven't bought anything for her before. I think know that it's because we've had such a challenging adoption process.  While I try not to, I keep waiting for the call or email that tells me something has changed.  That for whatever reason, we're going to lose her too.  At the same time I'm impatiently waiting for the call or email that tells me we're heading to Port-au-Prince for a court appointment.  It's a really crazy way to live.

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *  

November 6th is Orphan Sunday.  Consider planning something with your church.  Tell your pastor that they don't have to write a sermon.  This website will take care of everything for them.  What pastor doesn't love a Sunday off?

One of the reasons I was called to Haiti was to see the faces of orphans.  Once you see them, you can no longer ignore them.  I'm being called to be a voice for them.  To bring awareness to others of the massive number of children who don't have a parent to hold them.  To put a band-aid on their owie.  To hold them when they are sick.  Nothing will bring me to tears faster than thinking about a single child without parents.  The thought of MILLIONS of children is overwhelming.

Please take a couple of minutes and watch this video.  Orphan Sunday  Share it with the pastor of your church.  Become a community of individuals who are a voice for those who have none.

Help to bring them all home.

No comments:

Post a Comment