Pages


Friday, November 5, 2010

The Hand You See

See that little hand with the beads on his wrist? The one right above this post? Well, that sweet little hand belongs to an 11 month old boy named Guerlin (pronounced Gear-Lynn). Just this week I got the challenge of a lifetime - to find a hospital that will donate surgery to fix his heart.

Guerlin was admitted to Children of the Promise while I was down there. He's so very sweet and beautiful. I spent a lot of time with him, sitting under the mango tree rocking. His little heart just beat like mad inside his tiny body. While I didn't know his diagnosis at the time, I knew something was wrong with his heart.

Do you have any connections at Children's in Minneapolis? I talked to an awesome gal named Amy, who does all the scheduling. If we can get the hospital to donate their services (anesthesia, 7-day stay, etc) she most likely will get a surgeon to donate their time for the surgery. It's time to start working those connections!!

Three babies have died since I was there late August. I don't want to add Guerlin to that list. Other than his heart, he's a healthy baby. He has a mother who absolutely adores him. I want her to have many years with him.

If you know of anyone in the Children's network in Minnesota, I'd love the opportunity to talk to them. This little boy deserve the chance to play and grow up. Who knows, maybe he'll be the president of Haiti one day.

* * * * * * * * * *

On a different note, we're currently conducting an urgent drive for powdered Pedialyte. While Cholera hasn't hit COTP, they still have many severe cases of dehydration. The nurse makes a 'serum' for the kids, but we're hoping to stock them up on Pedialyte so she doesn't have to make it.

I realize we just finished sending Christmas presents, and I just challenged everyone to donate. Well, here I go asking again. If you have the opportunity to pick up a few boxes, I'll ship them down for you. Of course, if you're out of state, I can get you the address in Florida for Agape Flights.

We'll get everyone trained like Jason. Each week he does the grocery shopping he picks up a pack of diapers. Now he's going to pick up diapers AND Pedialyte. Good man.

* * * * * * * * * *

You may never know what results come of your action, but if you do nothing there will be no result."
~ Ghandi

1 comment:

  1. Karen, I continue to love the mental picture that you have given me of you sitting under a Mango tree...love it. I will most definitely pick up a couple of boxes of the powered pedialyte tomorrow. Thanks for asking us for the things that they are needing. If you don't ask...we wouldn't know and we wouldn't have the opportunity of helping with very important, specific, needs for COTP. Peace, Deb

    ReplyDelete