Pages


Sunday, November 28, 2010

Adoption Process

I thought I'd finally start posting about our adoption process. People keep asking me how it's going, and are surprised when I tell them what the process is like. It isdaunting, overwhelming, expensive, and massive. But the reward in the end makes it worth it.

Right now we're been approved by Children of the Promise to adopt one of their kids, and we're approved by Love Basket who will be our adoption agency. We're now working on the home study with an agency that's located in Hudson, WI - close by us. It sounds as though the home study will take a few months to complete. As we're in the process of working on that, we'll also be working on the following:
* medical evaluation and blood work for Jason and myself
* reading two books and taking on-line training - required by Love Basket
* a psych eval for both Jason and myself (no comments from the peanut gallery)
* asking for 3 personal references, 1 family, and 1 pastoral. Any of you who were in church today - PB was talking about us.
* completing a second application for Love Basket - more comprehensive than the first

When all is said and done, it will cost around $30,000 and take 2-3 years to bring our little girl home. People cannot believe it when I tell them how long it takes and how much it costs. I appreciate why the process is so comprehensive. I don't yet understand why it's so expensive, but it's pretty standard for an international adoption to cost from $20,000-30,000.

If you are considering adopting, please don't let that discourage you. There are many grants available to adoptive parents, and many other ways to get the money. I'm confident that God will provide when it comes to finances. And after being in Haiti, the money doesn't matter. I'm not taking a savings account with me when I leave this life.

I'll admit that I'm overwhelmed. When the initial packet first arrived from Love Basket I started to hyperventilate. It felt like something we'd never be able to complete. The money part doesn't concern me at all. It's the rest of it. I remember closing on my first mortgage and being confused by the amount of paperwork. I just blindly started signing things - not reading a word. With an adoption, that's not possible. We can't sit back and just sign documents and hand over a check. We have to be fully engaged in this process.

This will take a lot of time and I'm certain it will involve a few tears. But this is a God thing, and with Him all things are possible.

I dream of the day when I say, "Mwen se manman ou." I am your Mommy.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Odelande's new mom, please email me: karen.gigure@yahoo.com What a surprise to read your comment!! She's such an amazing little girl. We did a lot of cuddling while I was down there. You are very fortunate to have each other!!

No comments:

Post a Comment