Pages


Friday, September 30, 2011

The real meaning of Christmas

Today at lunch I ran over to Target and scanned my little heart out.  It was so much fun to dream about what's going to be sent down to COTP over the next few weeks.  (Remember my evil scheme about overwhelming Nick when he goes to the airport to pick up the mail from Agape?)

As I was scanning, I started to think about the meaning of Christmas.  I asked this last year, and I'll ask again this year:  "What does Christmas mean to you?"

If you asked 100 kids in the US what it means, what do you think their response would be?  Think about the Facebook posts after Christmas.  What pictures are you seeing?  How about when kids go back to school?  What are they talking about with their friends?

How about kids in a third world county?  What do you think their response would be?

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *

One of the managers in my office left to work for another company.  I don't know why, but it's customary at my job to celebrate when someone leaves.  On their last day they order a cake, reserve a conference room, and let people stop by to give their regards to the person who's leaving.  The guy that left this week - he didn't want a cake.  He just wanted to pack his box, say goodbye to those he's closest to, and quietly leave.

Guess what they did?  They got him a cake anyway.  As he approached the conference room he said, "I told you I didn't want anything."  He was polite and gracious, but you could tell he was irritated.  They didn't listen to what HE wanted.

Sometimes we project what we want on other people.  Obviously the people at work felt it was important to get a cake for this guy, so they did what they wanted.  Not what he wanted.

When it comes to Christmas at COTP, I ask you to think about that.  Maybe you want to send a huge box of dolls and legos and battery-operated toys.  Seeing food and bottles and pack-and-plays is not your idea of Christmas.  Kids are supposed to get toys, right?

You'll be happy to know that there are toys on the registry.  But you're also going to see a lot of the basic needs - like snacks, formula, teething rings, and bottles.  Yah, we want to make sure their Christmas is filled with joy and laughter and toys!  We also want to make sure their bottoms are dry and their bellies are full.

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *

As soon as Nikki and I get the list finalized, I'll get it posted for you to review and share with every single person you know.

Click.  Ship.  The real meaning of Christmas.


*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   

"I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."
~ Matthew 25:40



No comments:

Post a Comment