Pages


Saturday, December 18, 2010

Be a Mama Bear

Keeping in mind Matthew 6:1-4, I start off this post with the following:

"Be careful not to do your acts of righteousness before men, to be seen by them...when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret."

From the onset of this blog I have said that I'm but a servant. This blog is not intended for any self-glorification. The intent is to move and inspire others to take action while here on earth. To see that you CAN make a difference. To inspire you all to have full prayer life and see where God leads you.

What I'm doing is driven by God. With the power of Him, and the Internet, some amazing things have happened recently that I'd like to share.
As you know, we've been working on getting sweet Guerlin his much needed heart surgery. From what I understand, with the condition he has there is no sense of urgency. The challenge is that any condition in Haiti really DOES create a sense of urgency. Because of the conditions and lack of resources there, a child like him could die from a simple virus - something we don't necessarily need to worry about here.

I'm very excited to report that Guerlin was accepted by a program in New Jersey. They will cover his surgery, hospitalization, and provide a foster family to care for him while he recovers. God is good!

Many of you know that I've been called on a second mission to help a 4 month old who has a much more serious heart condition. She is not able to fly, and since there are no resources in Haiti our only option was the Dominican. Initially, the door was completely closed. Again I was told she is stable enough to wait until services are set up in Haiti.

She's now battling pneumonia, which is very serious not only given her condition, but also the fact that she is in Haiti.

Let me give you a little Karen insight. I have no medical background. With the exception of my sister Beck, medical professionals intimidate me. The idea of emailing this cardiologist again was initially daunting to me. But this is a child's life that's on the line. Maybe I don't sound very smart in my emails, but I do sound passionate and committed.

This doc amazes me. He RESPONDS to emails immediately! Within minutes of sending the email he responded and said that one way or the other, she would get her surgery. And all expenses, including getting them to the Dominican, would be covered. God is so good!!

Well friends, we have another one. A newborn baby boy who has spina bifida and club feet. The most urgent need is obviously taking care of his spine. Once that is taken care of we can work on his legs/feet. So the emailing begins again. Please pray that the doctor I emailed last night is still in PAP and that he will take on this little boy. The other option is to get him up here to MN for surgery. One way or the other, God will provide for this little boy.

This is a new calling. I just send the emails. God does the rest.

Please continue to pray for these babies. They need us. They need an advocate. They need the mama bears of the world to be their voice.

Every child deserves a chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment